Friday, March 4, 2011

Simple Synchronicity



Once again, my dear friend Antoinette Martignoni, posted in her email newsletter, as she did on Christmas eve, a post that drew my dream content to the fore. (http://litadreaming.blogspot.com/2010/12/dream-synchronicity-fireflies.html

You'll remember she loves poetry and many of her daily contemplations are poems she shares along with some of her own reflections. Here's the poem that was part of the email she sent today:


M O R N I N G

Salt shining behind its glass cylinder.

Milk in a blue bowl. The yellow linoleum.

The cat stretching her black body from the pillow.

The way she makes her curvaceous response to the small,
kind gesture.

Then laps the bowl clean.

Then wants to go out into the world

where she leaps lightly and for no apparent reason
across the lawn,

then sits, perfectly still, in the grass.

I watch her a little while, thinking:

what more could I do with wild words?

I stand in the cold kitchen, bowing down to her.

I stand in the cold kitchen, everything wonderful around me.

..........................MARY OLIVER, 1991-1992

Here's the dream I recorded when I woke up today:

I have company, a dear woman friend, so I place a plate of chicken and other goodies on the glass table in front of the couch. Sunny, (my cat) comes up to me while I'm upstairs, away from the guests and the hors d'oeuvres that I've served, and says while stretching his front legs up on my shoulders; "You know that plate of chicken?" I say; "Yes, did you eat it?" He says; "Yes, dammed straight." I love him dearly and think it's very funny. Wake up delighted.

What struck me in the synchronicity of her poem and my dream was the "wild words" Oliver refers to as the cat's (or perhaps poetry's or dream's) language. In my dream, my beloved Sunny spoke to me in a very curious cat/human dialect that I could understand. I've heard my cats speak to me before in dreams, but this was a wild and wonderful way he spoke; half cat/half human.

Wild words indeed.

No comments:

Post a Comment